Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Once Upon a Month in Guatemala: Post Two

Last Friday finished the three weeks of Spanish classes! Some days I felt like my brain turned to soup, but we pushed through. Although I am nowhere near where I would like to be in my Spanish language skills, I can see some growth because of this experience. This has been incredibly helpful when communicating with my host family, in particular. I feel less tired during a given day when listening to people talk in Spanish, because now I can pick up on at least the topic of the conversations around me. Progress is good!

This week I started working with the Child Sponsorship program with my Crown teammate, Ashley. We have spent about half our time in the office, organizing things and becoming familiar with how the program works. The other half of the time we have been visiting a couple of the elementary schools in Magdalena and the nearby town of El Gorrion. It has been a great mix of seeing the background administrative work that goes into such a program, and seeing the cheerful faces of the children of whom the work effects. Yesterday I had the opportunity to go with our site leader, Rebecca, on a home visit. The sponsor of a little girl bought a Barbie doll for her sponsor child, and we got the privilege of bringing it to her. On our way to her house in a poorer section of town, we got poured on with rain. Seeing the girl’s face light up as she held her first doll was well worth the wet trek (and jeans that won’t dry for probably a week because of the humidity here).


I am currently healthy! Most days here I cannot say that, but I seem to be getting over the various stomach issues and colds that come up relatively quick. Maybe I’ll have an incredibly strong immune system by the time I head home! It’s a nice thought. As for my mental and emotional state, I am having a better day today. Some days are difficult, I won’t lie. Some days I don’t trust God’s faithfulness as well as I would like, and also doubt myself. “If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot disown Himself (2 Tim 2:13)”. Whenever I find myself mulling over doubts, He always shows up. Whether in a kind, unexpected word from someone, a timely scripture, moments of rest, or physical protection from iffy situations, God has been giving me His mercies. Some of them I really have to pay attention, so not to miss them; others are blatantly obvious. I’m thankful for both. 

No comments:

Post a Comment